Saturday, March 6, 2010

What I'm Reading...

When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young.~ Maya Angelou

To me, there is nothing better than a good book. I can easily read a book in a one sitting, and there have been many nights when I have won the fight against sleep to finish a good page turner. I am so thankful that my mom fostered my love of reading, starting at an early age. Here's a glimpse into my reading world.

Just put down:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

This started out strong, with lots of mystery but became a bit much for my spirit. I love a good mystery and some of my favorite authors write from a non-Christian worldview. This book just became too much and I had to put it down. It's disappointing when books with a lot of hype end up being filled with trash. Will move on in my reading list...



Some of my all time favorites:

Boundaries with Kids by Henry Cloud & John Townsend

Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas

These get broken out every now and again for a good meditation before bed, or when I am bored and need something to stimulate my mind. They have really helped develop my parenting mind-set.

Next up on the to-read list:

Raising Happiness by Christine Carter

Though not written from a strict Christian worldview, I have been following Christine's Half Full blog for a while now and love her insights! She is a trained sociologist and mother- we get academics, research, and heart all in one book!




No comments:

Post a Comment